Greetings! My name is Lydia Hall, current PTO Secretary since 2019 and Co-Treasurer since 2020. As 2020 and the COVID-19 Pandemic would have it, I am the last standing PTO Officer, but I cannot run the PTO alone. For those new to CHMS, the PTO’s purpose is fourfold: to support the education of our children by fostering relationships among the school, parents, and teachers; to enhance the educational facilities and provide opportunities for the students that are not otherwise provided for in the school budgets; to sponsor projects and events for the benefit of our students, faculty, and families; and to raise the funds necessary to provide for the previous three purposes. The CHMS PTO needs YOUR help! Please read the following information regarding the open positions and their job descriptions to consider how YOU can contribute to Children’s House Montessori School.
• President – The president shall preside over meetings of the organization and executive board, serve as the primary contact for the principal, represent the organization at meetings outside the organization, serve as an ex officio member of all committees except the nominating committee, and coordinate the work of all the officers and committees so that the purpose of the organization is served.
• Vice President – The vice president(s) shall assist the president and carry out the president’s duties in his or her absence or inability to serve.
• Secretary – The secretary shall keep a permanent and accurate record of all meetings and distribute those minutes to the members via email or by posting on the PTO website or Facebook page. The secretary shall keep a copy of the minutes book, current bylaws, membership list, and any other necessary supplies, and bring these to all meetings. The secretary shall also keep all records of the organization, prepare he agenda, handle any correspondence as requested by the President, and send notices of meetings to the membership.
• Treasurer – The treasurer shall receive all funds or the organization, keep an accurate record of receipts and expenditures, and pay out funds in accordance with approved expenses He or she will present a financial statement t at every meeting and at other times of the year when requested by the executive board, and make a full report at the end of the year.
• PTO Member – All parents/guardians are PTO members here at CHMS! Please contribute by attending the monthly meetings, speaking up with your ideas, signing up to volunteer with events throughout the year, reading the monthly meeting minutes to stay in the know even if you cannot attend each meeting.
Notes: According to the CHMS PTO Bylaws, the officers shall be a President, up to two Vice Presidents if the role should be split between two persons or in lieu of a President, a secretary, and a treasurer. All officers shall perform the duties outlines above as well as any other duties prescribed in these bylaws; and such other duties as may be delegated to her/him.
PTO traditionally meets the 3rd Thursday of each month which would be today. However, since I am the sole PTO officer AND I am hosting a wedding at my home this week, our 2020-2021 Kick-Off meeting is scheduled for next Thursday, October 29th. We will get back on track with 3rd Thursday meetings in November. Additionally, since we are still amid a pandemic, I propose we have this month’s meeting one of the following ways:
• Outside- The weather has been great, so I think we can meet in person out on the playground and maintain social distancing. Masks will be required. Food will be provided.
• Via Zoom
• Or Both!?
Please respond to this email to let me know if you can attend the Kick-Off meeting and which meeting method you prefer.
CHMS PTO Secretary